We are delighted that you are interested in learning more about joining Swarthmore Friends Meeting. This page will help explain what membership in our Meeting involves, and will provide you with additional information about how to become a member.
What membership involves
Membership in the Swarthmore Meeting is a commitment. That commitment can grow (and usually does grow) over time, but initially and fundamentally, the commitment is to be on a spiritual journey with other people in the meeting. That journey can take many forms. It can mean:
- Your own private connection to and understanding of the divine.
- Participation in the activities of the Meeting, including but not limited to: meeting for worship, cooking for the homeless, the Christmas pageant and carol sing, potluck lunches and dinners, the religious education program for children, religious education forums for adults, worship sharing groups, the Jumble Sale, the bird walk, social action activities, meeting committees, financial support, and meeting for business.
- Living a life consistent with the Quaker testimonies of simplicity, peace-making, integrity, community-building, equality and stewardship.
- Participation in the wider Quaker community, including organizations such as Philadelphia Yearly Meeting and Friends General Conference.
- Service on the boards of, or other involvement with, Quaker institutions including schools and retirement communities.
Learn more about becoming a member
A member of the Care & Counsel Committee will be delighted to meet with you and discuss your interest in membership and address any questions you may have, such as questions about:
- Our way of worship
- Activities you might enjoy participating in
- How you might contribute to the life of the meeting
- The Quaker decision making process of consensus
- Our commitment to social action
- Any other topics you would like to learn more about
To find out more about joining, please contact us in one of the following ways:
- Talk to the member of Care & Counsel Committee who is the designated “Friendly Presence” at the rise of Meeting for Worship.
- Contact the Meeting secretary
We are always excited when someone wants to share his or her spiritual journey with us and we look forward to hearing from you.