Quakers have a long history of working actively to foster peace, justice and equality in local communities and throughout the world. Swarthmore Meeting’s Peace & Social Concerns Committee listens to the ways that a spirit of social concern moves in the Meeting, and supports and nurtures actions that arise from these leadings.
In 2014-2015 we are sponsoring a series of talks by Quaker activists at Swarthmore College. Learn more
Our ongoing social concerns projects are:
- Cooking for the Homeless: On the third Saturday of each month volunteers make hot meals and sandwiches for guests at the Life Center in Upper Darby. Learn more
- Environmental Working Group: Sponsors films, discussions, and a campaign to encourage switching to sustainable energy sources. Learn more
- Anne Bernstein Richan Peace Action Fund: Funds individuals and groups engaged in new peacemaking initiatives with potential for growth. Learn more
- Jon Larson Memorial Fund: Provides small grants to help disadvantaged young people participate in Outward Bound programs. Learn more
- Friendly Film Nights: Screenings of films with peace and social justice themes or entertainment value, followed by discussion. Check our calendar for dates.
Learn more about fundraising concerts for Cooking for the Homeless.
Other social witnesses
The Committee addresses the Meeting’s peace and social concerns through community events, public witness, and published minutes that state our positions on issues. Concerns we have supported include peacekeeping in areas of conflict, education for girls in Afghanistan, gun control in the U.S., an end to mountaintop removal coal mining, an end to conflict in Iraq and Afghanistan, the rights of women in the U.S., and freedom for Tibet.
Organizations with which we coordinate include:
- Friends Committee on National Legislation (FCNL): Learn more
- Nonviolent Peaceforce (Unarmed peacekeepers in areas of conflict): Learn more
- Friends Peace Teams (Alternatives to violence in troubled countries): Learn more
- Voice of Women (Girls’ education in Afghanistan): Learn more
- Heeding God’s Call (Gun control in Chester and Philadelphia) Learn more
- The Peace Center of Delaware County: Learn more
- The Sierra Club: Learn more